Friday, September 13, 2019

PLANNING - a summation of my findings

My research has shown that entertainment magazines both adhere to and subvert the general codes and conventions of magazines because it is such a diverse magazine genre. Each entertainment magazine tailors their design and content accordingly to their target audience, whether this be much more diverse and mainstream, such as Entertainment Weekly and US Weekly, or more niche, such as Rolling Stones and Inside Soap. However, a key convention which almost all magazines have in common is their models use of direct mode of address.

For my NEA photoshoot, I plan to take a variety of photos to create a hybrid entertainment magazine by incorporating the codes and conventions of a celebrity/gossip magazine with the content of a film/television/music magazine. Therefore, my magazine will target the mainstream, mass market 16-25 year old demographic because it highlights choice in the variety of content (which I have found is a vital part of audience consumer habits in modern society).

My initial idea involves intertextuality with the iconic television series Gossip Girl. The cover will feature a new crime/investigation drama which tributes Gossip Girl in some of its style, thus I aim to use intertextuality in my coverlines, and choice of model and pose, to portray this. Gossip Girl is a very well known and mass market series which I felt would be easily recognisable for the target demographic.

My second idea involves intertextuality with the James Bond movies. The next movie of the series is in development and there has been rumours surrounding the star who is possibly singing it's theme tune. Therefore, for my cover, I am going to focus on the star who is lined up to sing this theme tune (a made up artist for my magazine) and use intertextuality for James Bond through costume and coverlines. Again, I felt James Bond would be easily recognisable for my mass market/mainstream audience because it is so well known.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FINAL PRODUCT - PRINT